Internet User Policy
Patrons must have a current library card and be in good standing to apply for Internet
The following policies apply to all users of the Troy Public Library’s Public Access Computers.
Failure to comply with these policies will result in the loss of Internet access privileges.
• Only one person may use the Internet station at one time. No child who is not using a
computer may be in the computer lab. Juvenile cardholders attending the 2nd grade or above
who wish to use Internet access computers must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
• Patrons must sign in at the Information desk located on the second floor. A user may not
allow other persons to access the Internet by using his/her personal library card number.
• Use of the Internet access computers are on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a
thirty minute time limit for the use of Internet access computers when others are waiting. The
time of sign-in will be noted at the Information Desk.
• If a person leaves his/her station for more than five(5) minutes, it is assumed that he/she
has yielded the remaining time allowed, and the station will be considered unoccupied.
• Downloading and saving information to any drive on a computer is not permitted (saving
information must be done on an auxiliary devise, such as a flash drive); chat rooms are not
permitted; online movies and TV shows are not permitted; game playing is not permitted, even
games on sites such as Facebook.
• Any user of the Internet who, without authorization, accesses, uses, destroys, alters,
dismantles, or disfigures any data, equipment of any kind, information technologies, or
properties, is in violation of this policy and will be held responsible.
• Any use of the Internet for illegal, inappropriate, or obscene purposes or in support of
such activities, is prohibited. Illegal activities shall be defined as a violation of local, state and/or
federal laws. Inappropriate use shall be defined as a violation of the intended use of the
Internet. Obscene activities shall be defined as a violation of generally accepted community
standards. Cell phone use is prohibited in computer lab.
• Responsibility for children’s use of any library material or use of the Internet rests totally
with their parents or legal guardians.
• The Troy Public Library and the City of Troy do not assume responsibility for the use of
the Internet by minors. It is impossible for Library staff to control information contained on the
• Users must sign in no later than 30 minutes before time of closing; users must
sign off of library computers and vacate computer lab 15 minutes before time of
A printer will be available and there will be a charge of twenty cents ($0.20) per page of
printing; fifty cents ($0.50) for color pages.
Library users have both the right of confidentiality and right of privacy. Internet users should be
advised, however, that because security and privacy is technically difficult to achieve, electronic
transactions and files could become public.
Persons violating, or suspected of violating, Troy Public Library Internet Policy, are subject to
the monitoring and/or recording of their sessions. All monitored or recorded activities and
sessions are considered confidential to the user except as evidence in a legal proceeding.
The Troy Public Library does not evaluate information accessed over the Internet and cannot
guarantee the validity or accuracy of the information found on the Internet. Library patrons are
advised, as with all library materials, to exercise judgment and discrimination when evaluating
the usefulness and reliability of material found on the Internet.